When you move into a new home, there are always surprises. It is obligatory.
Here, we discovered things that, forgive me the expression, we literally found absurd. Things that even made us wonder: “… Did the former owner really live here?” “. Of course, there are many small flaws that we no longer see over time and we compensate in another way, in short, we deal with that. But finally… It is sometimes so easy to correct the defect and improve your quality of life!
Small list of things that we really found absurd and that we corrected:
- The dishwasher door did not open fully because two cabinet handles blocked the way. We replaced two handles with two eyebolts, filled the holes with wood filler and repainted the cabinets.
- In the bathroom, three of the four drawers in the vanity cabinet also did not open, because of the door molding. We cut them lightly and then repainted them to open up.
- On the terrace, two doors are used to create an opening in order to be able to push the snow into the street. Ingenious so far. But the lock was placed too close to the ground, so that when the doors were opened, a large scratch was repeatedly made on the terrace floor. We repositioned the locks a few centimeters higher.
- A window is condemned without being condemned! In fact, an interior wall has been laid. From the inside, we get a wall. From the outside, we therefore obtain a window which gives a view of a gypsum wall. And where is this window located? Right above the toilet. No need to say that in winter, it is not very hot. To be corrected by next winter …
- The glass door to the shower makes an incredible noise, as the plastic strip at the end of it is far too long and you can hear it rubbing against the glass of the shower. The left (shorter) strip and the right (longer) strip of the door have been reversed. No more noise.
- There is a pellet stove on the first floor and hot water heaters on the second floor. Previously, the hot water system no longer worked, supposedly because the former owner only heated with a pellet stove. No idea how it could provide for the whole house. Luckily we asked to reactivate the hot water system when we bought it.
- In the cold season, it sometimes happens that the washer does not work. Finally, yes, it works, but it is likely that the water pipes sometimes get frozen and therefore the water does not flow anymore. It may be necessary to find a way to isolate them or to change their trajectory altogether. Suggestions?
- Sometimes, when doing a laundry, the laundry room drain spits water out. No idea of the cause.
- The locks on the two main doors were not operational. The former owner always came in through the garage, he said. We changed the locks.
Leave a Reply